Thursday, 22 January 2015

Review: The Magicians Trilogy


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read through the whole trilogy in about a week, it was great. It was like Narnia for adults; all the crudeness I usually enjoy but that is usually absent from fantasy was present. These magicians get sloshed and have sex with each other, they're realistic young adults who have sexualities and flaws, and at times, flawed sexualities. The world building was often very self aware and tongue-in-cheek; overplayed tropes within the genre of fantasy were presented as such, and the characters often point out these things themselves in ways that a reader would. The examples that aren't piss-takes, however, are unique, original and utterly charming. I just loved reading this series and I'd definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment